Monday, March 2, 2009

I love it, I love it, I love it!

I am here! After a traveling for way too long I am here in NEW ZEALAND!! The 13 hour plane ride was okay, it went faster than I expected. I was sitting by two men who were going on their honeymoon, Edward and Mel. We became buds. They were so sweet, so at least I had good company. Because the flight was sold out we couldn't choose were we sat, so I didn't get to sit by Candace. I am staying with a couple, Averil and Stewart who are delightful. They have been so good to me. Averil is the teacher that I will be working with at the school as well.This is Candace and I after making it through customs with our newly stamped passports.


Driving on the wrong side of the car and the road is scaring the hell out of me. Every turn we make I feel like we are going to die. I even look the wrong way when I cross the street. Please pray that I don't die walking across the street!

Today (Monday) we went to a local elementary school for a Maori welcoming ceremony. We stood at the gates and a Maori woman sings or calls for the visitors (us) to come. We had a Maori woman with us who sang back in response and we went into the assembly hall. The chief Maori then talked (in Maori) welcoming us. Our speaker, (men have to speak for the women in traditional Maori ceremonies) Richard, introduced us to the children. They sang us a welcome song and we had to respond with a song. We ended up singing the Star Spangled Banner (I may mention that I do not sing... well). Then we did the traditional Hongi where you touch noses with the Maori chief, principal and many students. This meant that we were now a part of them and no longer visitors. Then we went in for morning tea (which we have everyday, afternoon tea equates to dinner). The students then sang for us and did the haka. It was so fun to watch, they did an amazing job. They have an extracurricular group that does the singing and the haka.

-I have a video but I can't make it work. So check back later for this video.

Many of the students don't wear shoes to school, no one really minds. They also have to wear these adorable sun hats anytime they go outside. They sun is really strong in NZ, I guess there is a whole in the ozone layer right above it (that is what I have been told) so they have to be really careful in the sun. I loved the schools, they seem to have a great atmosphere. So far I love it! Oh and did I mention that it is warm here!

8 comments:

Jentry said...

Oh my word you are so freaking awesome. I am so jealous and am so exicited for you to blog about everything.

miranda said...

Yeah! We're happy you made it safely! It was so fun to talk with you and see you the other night! The girls loved it! Can't wait to hear more! Love you!

Grandma Nancy said...

I am soooo jealous.
HAVE FUN :)

wild murdocks said...

Yippee! In the first picture, I thought you'd taken up smoking with a cigarette tucked behind your ear. And the second picture was fun, because when you blow it up, you can see you in the mirror taking the photo.

I'm delighted that you have tea time. Do you actually drink any tea? I hope you have crumpets. Speaking of which, how's the food?

kissy

McKell said...

The food is good, not too much different from home (yet). It is a little less sweet, which you would like. During morning tea I usually opt for a juice, but afternoon tea is really dinner, not just tea. Crumpits would be biscuits here, which is cookies in the US (I think).

And no I haven't taken up smoking. If I am going to take up any habit here it is going to be drinking. I never realized how much people drink, and how weird it is that I don't.

FeliciaK said...

This looks so fun McKell!!! Glad your traveling and becoming cultured in so many other things. ;)

Rachel said...

You said Hell. he he he he

I'm so glad you made it safely and are LOVING it! What a wild and exciting adventure. I'm totally jealous. Do you know how boring student teaching at Springville Middle School was?

popoflop said...

Explanation work from home through Google Adsense and profits is available in all languages
http://shinyadsense.blogspot.com/