Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I thought I was in NZ...

On Sunday Morning Averil and Stewart took Candace, Linda (another student) and I to Raglan, a small beach town on the Western coast. They live about 45 min from the West coast and 90 minutes from the East coast, oh the joy of living on and island! You can pick and choose which beach you want to go to. Being here makes me rethink the "beach this way" sign we have at Utah Lake.

On our way we stopped at a water fall name BRIDAL VEIL FALLS, guess that is a common name for a waterfall. We took a short little hike/walk to the waterfall. The bush (forest, woods etc.) was very different from Utah.Stewart, Averil, Myself and Linda in front of the waterfall.

This looks like a postcard. It is hard to take a bad picture here.

It is so humid that there are plants growing all over the tree trunks, everything is green. We even saw a live Koru, which is a very popular symbol in Maori for rebirth.

The beaches on the West coast are black sand beaches, and this one in particular is famous for its surfing (unfortunately we just watched the surfers). We walked along the rocks and dipped our feet in the Tasman Sea. The water was freezing and the waves were HUGE. Candace and I ventured out on the rocks and the waves came in around our legs. I kept getting nervous that the huge waves were going to come all the way up, but they didn't.


I love this picture of Candace, she looks so happy. One of us literally has to remind the other that we are the on the other side of the world at least once a day.


I have to go quickly, we have a night on the town awaiting us. I hope everyone at home is doing well.

4 comments:

Grandma Nancy said...

Kell, let me be the first to say, awesome pictures. I am still so jealous that I am not there with you.

wild murdocks said...

It looks like a great time. So many interesting green things and cool rocks! Enjoy--

miranda said...

Love the pictures, it's so beautiful!

TyandBre said...

Kell, I miss you greatly. I am so jealous of all the fun you are having. I will email you tonight.