Saturday, March 7, 2009

Today I saved a life.

This week has been such a whirlwind. By Friday I felt mentally exhausted. The school system here is similar to the US but in ways very different. It has just been a lot to wrap my mind around. It is very beautiful here and I just try to soak up everyday because I know time is going to fly.This is the classroom I am in. There are walls of windows on both sides of the room. The classrooms go directly outdoors and into a courtyard area where they eat lunch. It gives the classroom a very open feel, the breeze comes in and you can constantly hear the Cicadas (which makes it sound so tropical).Friday night I went to my first rugby game. Rugby and Cricket are HUGE here. Megan, a teacher from our school got both me and Candace free tickets. The rugby players are quite possibly the biggest men I have ever seen. Their quads, necks, and chests are MASSIVE! I thought that rugby was much more fun to watch than football. The game rarely stops, if they get tackled they are just supposed to let go of the ball, then they all pile on top and ram into each other. It was fun to watch.
When they throw the ball in from the sides both teams line up and then lift a player up by their legs to catch the ball, this was my favorite part. The All Blacks aren't playing right now, but several of their players play for the Waikato Chief's, who we saw.

Candace's host, Gaylene, insisted on us wearing scarves, hats, jerseys and taking a cow bell. She said we would fit in better. We only really ended up wearing the scarves. This is Megan, who got us tickets and also teaches at Bankwood.

After the rugby game, Stewart and Averil picked us up (I feel like we are 15 again). They told us they had a surprise for us. Candace figured out the surprise when she noticed we were driving on TEMPLE Dr. The picture isn't great because it was so dark, but we will go back. They are so sweet to take us there! Averil had researched about the church before I came, so she is pretty knowledgeable. So far they don't think we are crazy (but there is A LOT they don't know).

Today Candace and I met Jalayne in town. We spent the day trying to navigate the bus system. Apparently you have to flag down buses here if you want them to stop. Otherwise they just keep on going. Unfortunately we had to learn that the hard way.

They have these street signs to remind people to be safe, but their slogan is "Give a Damn". I just think it is so funny. Damn really isn't a swear word here (Yay!) but it still cracks me up. We saw one the other day that said "Slow down school crossing, Give a Damn."

We also took a little stroll along the Waikato River. The river goes right through Hamilton and kind of cuts the town in half. This was about the time the torrential downpour hit.

It really is so beautiful here.


I am putting this picture up solely for my Nephew Rio. There was this massive tree and the closer I got I noticed these bugs on the bark. but it was just their exo-skeleton, it looked like the bug had crawled right out of their skin, or disintegrated or something. It was gross, but he will think it is cool.

You might be wondering why this blog is entitled "Today I saved a life". Well today on our way home from town we were walking home and Candace, who is normally quite bright, looked the wrong way first (it is backwards here) before crossing the road. She walked right our into the road and I had to lunge forward and grab her and pull her to safety. Without me she would have died today. You're welcome Candace.

Also if this long blog post doesn't fill your New Zealand needs you can also check Candace's blog, it is listed on the sidebar or at canderander.blogspot.com

12 comments:

J. Melody said...

Everything sounds so fun, new, and adventurous. Thanks for "giving a damn" about us here at home and updating us on your journey.

wild murdocks said...

Hi Kell! Thanks for the picture. That was a cicada's old exoskeleton. It sounds like your having fun. That river looked really cool. Those signs were really funny too. I didn't know they had a temple there.

from your nephew Rio

tina said...

Mckell! Sounds Awesome. That is such an amazing opportunity. I hope you have a great time and keep posting about your experiences!

miranda said...

You look like you should be attending school at Hogwarts with those scarves! Glad your having a good time!

Unknown said...

hey! i never got a chance to comment on the last one...i am jealous of who you got to sit by on the way. that would have been a dream come true for me. i'm not kidding.

it sounds so Awesome! i think about you everyday... i keep telling myself, "it's not THAT pretty there, you don't wish you were there.." but you keep proving me wrong. i feel the most capital happiness for you.

my family is wondering if flight of the concords is popular there, or if it's only cool here because of the accents...?

i have so much to say! this is like an email.. but there was one more thing if i could remember it. oh! i can't believe you saved her life! WTF? jk. but really! we met a girl who saved a butterfly with mouth to mouth. LOVE YOU!

mindymom said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You saved my daughter's life and I'm forever in your debt!! Give her a hug for me-I'm missing her terribly-but so glad you're having a great time. And that you're both still alive! Your blog is awesome-keep it up!

Canderander's Mom, Mindy

Grandma Nancy said...

Damn Gina, you are having a great time. I wish I was there with you. Don't you just love the noise of the cicada's. We had them in Indiana. Keep having a good time and enjoy every min.

Love ya,

Rachel said...

I love your Harry Potter scarf! And I SO want to live somewhere where damn isn't a swear word.

I am incredibly envious of you right now. All I have that remotely resembles your experience is cicada exoskeletons hanging form my kids' play set.

tiffy girl said...

Oh Kell! I am so thrilled to hear of your adventures! I hope that time will slow for you, cuz it's already going by too fast! Hope you have a Damn good day! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

great

Anonymous said...

Oh Kell! I am so thrilled to hear of your adventures! I hope that time will slow for you, cuz it's already going by too fast! Hope you have a Damn good day! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

great