Sunday, March 15, 2009

Weekends here are sweet as.

Well I am a little surprised that no one noticed the last blog title didn't make any sense (didn't noticed myself honestly). I was going to blog about going to the cricket match. We played India and we were the only white people in our stand. Point is we felt like we were in India not New Zealand.

This weekend we spent a night on the town. We ate, bowled, and GAMBLED! This was the first time I had gambled... I lost two dollars very quickly. I got a little bored because I had NO idea what made you win or lose and I just pushed a button for five minutes.

Saturday we went to Cambridge, a little English modeled town. We shopped a little, we have been in used book stores where I have to have serious self control! We drove to the top of a hill to see the view of the Waikato region.


That afternoon we went to Rotorua. Rotorua is very much a tourist place. It is a very large thermal geyser region and also has lots of old Maori villages and cultural attractions. This is a church that we stopped by that was right on the lake.


We went to a Maori village where they put on a welcome ceremony and do a reenactment type show. They do an official welcoming ceremony, even though you know it is fake they are still a little scary. The Maori can make their eyes bulge out like no one I have seen before. Candace and I got a picture with the Chief and the rebel warrior.


We spent the night and went to see the geysers and the boiling mud pits. Our hotel pool said it was open til 10:30, but at 9:50 they told us we couldn't go in. We just sadly walked away, but when Averil heard she left us and went straight to the desk. Next thing we knew she walked out with the key and told us we had 20 minutes in our own spa pool. We love Averil. Rotorua is very volcanic. I would say that I don't know why people would choose to live here because it could blow up any day, but then again I live on a fault line that is ready to burst.


There are also a lot of lakes in the area. We went to Blue lake and walked the trail all the way around the lake. It was so beautiful!

Oh and by the way, Candace just wanted me to remind everyone that WE ARE IN NEW ZEALAND and it is SWEET AS!

7 comments:

renostar said...

Gorgeous!! I've been hoping that you would post pictures of you with scary Maori warriors. Good work. I love reading about your adventures! I'm glad to see you are gambling. New country, new rules.

Star

J. Melody said...

Oh come on, bring home a bulgy-eyed Maori man. Looks like you're living it up and enjoying every minute. Sounds so fun!!

mindymom said...

I think you girls are sweet as! And your pictures are sweet as! And this whole experience is sweet as! Thanks for sharing your camera with Candace and for your blogging-it's really sweet as!

Dani said...

Alright McKell, I am totally jealous. I want to be there ... Warm, sand, beach, sun ... Cute shops. What more could you ask for?!

Unknown said...

hey! how are you? i'm glad they are taking you guys places! and i'm happy to see pictures of you and candace so i know you get to hang out! i loved that neat plant on your last blog, the prosperity one. that is so cool!

now that you've checked off gambling, how about d_ink_i_g?.... don't lose sight of your goals.

love you

miranda said...

I love all of your pictures! Sorry we missed your call on Sunday, the time change is really throwing us off. Love you!

Katie Smith - I Want to be a Super Teacher said...

Hi McKell,

I have tried to call your Mom a few times to see how you are doing. I can't ever catch her at home. Katie and Jesse are here for
his grandmother's funeral and Katie got me on your blog. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time and the scenery looks beautiful. I hope that you'll get to do a lot of traveling and I want to hear all about it when you get home.

Love, Chris Baxter