Monday, October 15, 2007

It's not easy being green (or is it?)

In honor of Blog Action Day, which is dedicated to the earth, I thought I would leave you all some tidbits of information.

-If everyone in the US refused their ATM receipts, it would save a roll of paper more than two billion feet long, or enough to circle the equator fifteen times!

-If every American changed out just five regular light bulbs for more energy-efficient compact fluorescent ones, we'd keep more than one trillion pounds of greenhouse gases out of the air - equal to emission of eight million cars.

For us ladyfolk...

-Opt for foundation in simple recyclable glass container over one sold in non recyclable plastic tube or bottle. If one in twenty women chose glass over plastic packaging for her next foundation purchase, the energy conserved could fill a twenty-gallon gas tank once a week for twenty-four years.

All of this came from The Green Book.

Nobody says it quite like Xavier Rudd.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Great post Kell.
It's amazing how much you can do with so little effort, huh?

wild murdocks said...

You're quite an activist--good for you! I hope you also took part in a campus demonstration on Burma.

I got a little scared when you had a section just for "the ladies", I envisioned all sorts of scary things. But where's the section for just for "the gentlemen"?

Hope schools going well and that your having fun! Have you figured out a costume yet?

wild murdocks said...

PS like the new layout. blog on dude.

McKell said...

Well, when I was looking through my book there wasn't much that just pertained to the gentlemen. Because pretty much anything gentlemen can do, us ladies can do it as well, but makeup was a pretty safe "just ladies" idea.
Still looking for the perfect costume...

Grandma Nancy said...

Kell, Kermit said it best, "It's hard being green", but I am trying. I don't have an ATM card, I (Uncle Rick) changed about 10 light bulbs to the horribly ugly new ones, and I don't believe in foundation. Also, I don't waste water on grass, because I don't have lawn. So a gold star for me.

McKell said...

Way to go Aunt Nancy!